August 1, 2006

Catching Up On Things............

The weeks since my last post have been full of many highs and lows - the storms, no power, my sister's visit and a couple of very touching surprises.....

The Storms

I had part of this typed out and lost power in the middle of it. The post has taken on a life of it's own and is very long, if you'd care to read it & see a couple of photos, please visit: The Storms

The Visit

Well, if you've read the other post you know anything and everything that could go wrong while she was here did, I don't even have a picture of her in her bridesmaid dress but do have a picture of the funky hairdo she had, took me 45 minutes to find all the bobby pins and remove them, I firmly believe the hair stylist used a full can of hairspray, maybe more.



To her, I think this was the worst insult of all, she is as far from a girly-girl as one could be. :)

I sent her home with the nickname Jinx and told her it was all her fault like a good older sister should.

All kidding aside, I felt bad for her, she had all these plans, in particular, one frozen custard shop that she loves but didn't get to have because they had lost their power also. She held up like a trooper given the circumstances, hopefully the next visit will go much better and she'll be able to bring my nephew with her.

The Surprises

Last spring I organized an exchange on the SBBB Board and while I felt like I was floundering and making a mess of things most of the time, the end result was meeting several ladies I'm glad to be able to call friend.

One was unfortunately diagnosed with the same chronic illness as I have right after the exchange ended, we shared some e-mails back and forth.

I received a very thoughtful and unexpected package from this sweetheart of a lady right before the storms, everything in it seemed tailor made just for me.








I've been looking for a cart like Vero had on her blog at one time with no success for awhile now. I had asked my brother to be on the lookout for me, he in turn called my mom and told her to do the same, she located a similar one at Hobby Lobby, he surprised me with it last weekend.



Some of you will probably be shocked when you see the end result, it's beautiful as is but just doesn't "go". :)




And finally, I received another unexpected package this week from a lovely lady also met through the board during the exchange with a couple of Lorri Birmingham kits not yet in my stash.

A long term member of several boards but still a lurker, I'm glad I poked my head out for a short time. The kindness and generosity of the people I've met astound me.

Needless to say, I am once again hopelessly behind but will try to update here before yet another month passes by.

Debs, Katrina, Chrissie, Anita and Kath, thanks so much for dropping by and for your kind comments, I visit your blogs regularly and love seeing your finishes!

Labels:

 
posted by Deb at 2:27 PM |

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said:
You did a fabulous job of that exchange and I for one loved it. You were generous in all that you provided for us, and hey, what is a couple of posts between like minded people to get things right.

Your poor sister too... she did not have a good time of it.

You hang in there Debs, believe me, you are inspirational to me and many others. Your work is truly beautiful.
Blogger Debs said:
Deb, you are fantastic. Glad that you survived the storms and loss of power. It's been a real pleasure chatting with you, and learning finishing from you. I think you did a terrific job with the exchange and I hope you host another one soon. Thank you truly for all the help you've given.
Blogger Anita said:
I am glad that things
are back to normal for you.
Everytime the electricity
is out, I am so nervous
about my refrigerator. I
always have 2 full refrigerator
with no free freezer space.
I hope I will never go through
what you did. Keeping up
a blog is definitely a lot of work
as well...hahah
Blogger lena-lou said:
I love your chest of drawers and would really like one like yours or Veros...the hunt continues for me...lol!! Can't wait to see your finished result with it and maybe your entire house overhaul...just so the chest of drawers looks just right ;-)