January 10, 2007

My Dirty Little Secret.....

I can't sew using a sewing machine. Perhaps it's the machine itself, an old treadle machine that dates about 100 years old that belonged to my grandmother. I've talked about buying a new one but I always seem to find a reason not to. I've finally come to the conclusion that I probably never will. It's simply not something I enjoy, approaching any sewing machine to do more than a basic straight seam fills me with dread and comes close to bringing on a panic attack.

That said, I like challenges and decided I had to make this oragami bag using Blackbird's sampler fabric. I found some vintage black snaps and buttons in my stash that added the perfect finishing touch. While not perfect, I am pretty proud of it.



Labels: ,

 
posted by Deb at 5:07 PM |

4 Comments:

Heh, now I don't feel so bad about being scared of MY sewing machine. ;>) The bag looks incredible, and I really like how you made it with the fabric on the diagonal. I haven't seen that done before, and it really looks neat!
Blogger Deborah said:
Deb, I know what you mean, I break out in a cold sweat when I have to use the machine. I like the product but not the process. Your bag looks great though!
Blogger lena-lou said:
Your bag looks great, I have that fabric in the raspberry colour :-) Really you have done a beautiful job. I love my sewing machine, I got a new Viking Husqavana about a year ago. I learnt how to sew on my Mums old one and it is so easy to use...not a flashy model though :-)
Blogger Leah said:
I love that fabric! You're bag looks gorgeous!!